The Lowndes County Detention Facility is named after the former Sheriff of Lowndes County John Hulett. Mr. Hulett was the first black person to register to vote in Lowndes County and later went on to be the first black elected sheriff and probate judge of Lowndes County. Mr. Hulett is considered to be a Black Belt Civil Rights Pioneer.
The facility was built in 1999, and was considered a modern, state of the art facility which housed up to 119 inmates. The facility is the only detention facility which is located in Lowndes County. The facility houses all Sheriff Department’s inmates and local law enforcement agencies within the county borders, to include the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency inmates when an arrest is made within the county lines.
The facility utilizes AmTel for the inmate’s phone system. Just click on the company name above and it will connect you with the AmTel website. You will first have to set up an account prior to being able to accept calls from the friend or loved one which is currently incarcerated in the Lowndes County Detention Facility.
The facility utilizes Stacy Williams Company, as the commissary specialist for the inmates. The Stacy Williams Company provides a full line of products that include Candy, Chips, Snacks, Groceries, Pastries, Health-Beauty Care, boxers, T-Shirts and beverages for the inmates. You can click the link above to learn more about the Stacy Williams Company. No care packages are accepted by the facility for an inmate. All items MUST be purchased from the commissary, unless otherwise approved by the Sheriff or Jail Administrator.
There will be NO cash or money orders accepted at the facility. The only money order which will be accepted at the facility will be those which are submitted for a bonding fee and at NO time will cash ever be accepted. All other money orders which are being submitted to be placed on inmate’s accounts will have to be mailed to:
653 State Highway 21 S.
Hayneville, AL. 36040
Ensure when mailing a money order the following information is on either the envelope &/or the money order:
*Inmate’s Full Name
*Sender’s Full Name & Return Address
Incomplete money orders Will Not be accepted & returned to the sender.
Any individual, who enters the Lowndes County Detention Facility, is subject to search of person & property & is giving their consent to do so by entering the lobby.
Visitation will be held every Thursday and Sunday, unless otherwise stated. This facility reserves the right to cancel visitation days at any time, for the safety of inmates and officers, without prior notification. This facility will do everything possible to maintain the listed days for visitation.
Visitation hours are as follows: 9:30 am-11:00 am- Inmates whose last names beginning with A-M. 1:00 pm- 3:00pm- Inmates whose last names beginning with N-Z. 3:00 pm- 3:30 pm- All female inmates.
Each inmate will be allowed a total of one (1) hour visitation (three (3) twenty (20) minute visits) per day.
Rules for Visitation:
• No child under the age of 18 will be allowed inside the facility during inmate visitation hours.
• No child will be left outside the facility or in a vehicle without adult supervision.
• All visitors are required to present a current state or federal ID or driver’s license, with a photograph, at time of visit.
• All visitors will be checked for outstanding warrants or restraining orders.
• You must be listed on the inmate’s visitor list.
• Visitor must not have been incarcerated in the Lowndes County Jail within the last six (6) months.
• All items, to include purses, bags, cell phones recording devices, writing instruments, weapons or any device which can be construed as a weapon, are to be left secured in the vehicle. You may be charged if found in possession with any of the devices listed, inside the facility.
• No food or drinks allowed in the visitation room.
• No packages, mail, money orders, notes, or photographs will be accepted for an inmate before, during, or after visitation.
• All special visit requests require seventy-two (72) hours advance notice.
• No loud or profane language is to be used during visitation nor inside or outside of the facility.
• Visitors will be required to sit during visitation time and not wander around the inside of the visitation room.
• There will be only one (1) visitor for each inmate inside the visitation room at a time.
• No revealing, and/or see-thru clothing, no sleeveless or low cut shirts allowed during visitation time.
• Dresses, skirts, or shorts shall not exceed more/ higher than one inch (1”) above the knee.
• No spandex (shirts/pants), tight fitting clothing, or fish net shirts are to be worn during visitation.
• No hats or clothing shall be worn which displays obscene/ offensive language or gestures.
• All visitors to the facility shall use the front parking area and enter the facility thru the front lobby area.
If at any time during the visitation, if any rules are not being adhered to, the officer will terminate your visit and ask you to leave. Your visitation privileges will be suspended until you make contact with the Jail Administrator and he reinstates the privileges.
Bonds are done Monday-Friday from 8:00am- 4:00 pm.
All personal Inmate information & bonding information will not be discussed over the phone, but will be done in person with a valid picture ID.